Monday, December 22, 2008

When in Rome or Muscat as the case may be...









The primary focus of the Mindhi is the Hindu tradition of henna tattoos for the bride. The bride has temporary tattoos on her hands, arms (up to her elbows), feet, and legs (up to her knees). This takes HOURS to get the mud mixture applied with the fine details that are a complete work of art! And guests of the bride and groom are welcome to also partake in the henna. The Virmani must have had half a dozen women who are trained in the art of henna at the house to decorate the guests.

And as they say, when in Rome… I wanted to get the full experience, so I had Henna put on my hands – both sides… It stung/itched at first, then it was just a matter of letting it dry and flake off – YEAH RIGHT! I didn’t want to sleep with the mud on my hands so before I went to bed, I scraped off the mud and the top layer of my skin – that means it is going to hang around for a while – like 3 days instead of 2 right… that’s when Stephen informed me that Henna doesn’t last 2-3 days, it is 2-3 WEEKS.

No comments: